Saturday 6 July 2013

Inspection, inspection ....


There has been a lot of comment on inspection this week.

I was very pleased to hear the head of Ofsted, former head teacher Sir Michael Wilshaw, finally agree to multi-agency child protection inspection. I expect he has come under pressure to change his mind, with virtually everybody else thinking it is a good idea. Why we have to wait for them until 2015 is beyond me!


Then there was what seemed to me an interesting and useful suggestion from Andrew Webb, the President of the Association of Directors of Children’s Services. Rather than giving one word, headline-grabbing judgements, Webb suggested that Ofsted inspections of child protection should give ‘a narrative verdict’. This would, he argued, reflect the complexity of the safeguarding system.


I think that idea is simple and sensible – so it probably will never be put into practice!!